How To do Kettlebell Swings
What are Kettlebell Swings?
The kettlebell swing is a dynamic and powerful functional workout that engages your whole body in one aerobic boosting workout. Activate and strengthen your core, shoulders, quads, hamstrings, glutes and back with each explosive swing —burning loads of calories in the process.
See our tips and tricks for getting started with kettlebell swings below.
KETTLEBELL SWING TIPS
- Start light. Use lighter weights as you get a feel for the motion and increase as you get more comfortable.
- Practice makes perfect. Try performing the kettlebell swing without the weight first to perfect the movement and warm up.
- Get a grip. Keep a loose, but firm grip on the kettlebell weight as you swing so you avoid straining your neck and shoulders.
Equipment: Kettlebell (5 lbs-50 lbs)
- Stand with your back straight and feet shoulder-width apart. Lower into a half-squat and pick up the kettlebell with both hands so your palms are facing your body.
- Keep your core tight and a slight bend in your knees as you straighten your legs pushing from the heels and explode through the hips as you swing the kettlebell to chest height.
- As you swing the kettlebell down between your legs, return to the half-squat position to complete the rep.
- Repeat for the required amount of reps.